MEDIA KIT – The Paris Lawyer
Online Press Tools
About the book
For the first time in English, one of France’s masters in crime fiction brings us an award-winning legal procedural that doubles as a psychological thriller. As a child, Catherine Monsigny was the only witness to a heinous crime. Now, she is an ambitious rookie attorney in sophisticated modern-day Paris. On the side, she does pro bono work and hits the jackpot: a major felony case that could boost her career. A black woman is accused of poisoning her rich farmer husband in a peaceful village in central France, where the beautiful, rolling hills hold dark secrets. While preparing the case, Catherine’s own past comes back with a vengeance. This fast-paced story follows Catherine’s determined search for the truth in both her case and her own life. Who can she believe? And can you ever escape from your past? The story twists and turns, combining subtle psychological insight with a detailed sense of place.
The Paris Lawyer won the Grand Prix Sang d’Encre crime fiction award in 2011.
To find out more about the book, click here.
About the author
Author, screenwriter and actress Sylvie Granotier loves to weave plots that send shivers up your spine. She was born in Algeria and grew up in Paris and Morocco. She studied literature and theater in Paris, then set off traveling—the United States, Brazil, Afghanistan, and elsewhere, ending with a tour of Europe. She wound up in Paris again, an actress, with a job and some recognition. But she is a writer at heart, and started her publishing career translating Grace Paley’s short story collection Enormous Changes at the Last Minute into French. Fourteen novels and many short stories later, Sylvie Granotier is a major crime fiction author in France. Sylvie splits her time between Paris and the Creuse.
For more information about the author, click here.
About the translator
The translator, Anne Trager has lived in France for over 26 years, working in translation, publishing and communications. In 2011, she woke up one morning and said, “I just can’t stand it anymore. There are way too many good books being written in France not reaching a broader audience.” That’s when she founded Le French Book to translate some of those books into English. The company’s motto is “If we love it, we translate it,” and Anne loves crime fiction.
The Paris Lawyer
by Sylvie Granotier; translated by Anne Trager—$7.99—published by Le French Book—ISBN: 978-0-9853206-0-7 (Kindle)/978-0-9853206-1-4 (epub)—First published in French (La Rigole du Diable, Editions Albin Michel, Paris)—Direct-to-digital translation; ebook exclusive; available on all major ebook platforms
- Crime Fiction Lover review of The Paris Lawyer : “The Paris Lawyer is a powerful, well-written thriller, but also a meditation on the nature of love and marriage, and whether we can ever escape the past and reinvent ourselves.”
- Rachel Cotterill Book Reviews on The Paris Lawyer: “A solid and interesting read, and I would certainly consider reading more by this author.”
- Confessions of a Mystery Novelist, Spotlight on The Paris Lawyer: “The Paris Lawer is a credible double mystery told in a way that brings both story threads together. It’s got a distinctive French setting, a strong protagonist, some well-developed and likeable other characters and a haunting link of past to present.”
- AustCrime’s review of The Paris Lawyer: “The Paris Lawyer has a particular French sensibility, combined with a clever take on lawyer-based crime fiction…One of the most interesting aspects of it is how what starts of as a slightly meandering, low key sort of a story, builds into something that becomes extremely involving. It’s almost sneaky how the combination of an isolated location, a man with a secret and a central character with a confronting past, all combine as Monsigny’s investigation into her own background and the defence of the murder accused, twist and turn together. The story deftly balances the idea of a lawyer, trial-based book; with many of the aspects of a psychological thriller.”
- Ms. Wordopolis review of The Paris Lawyer: “Granotier’s strength is portraying the minds of her main characters.”
- 5-star Amazon review: “Fascinating psychological thriller with a surprise ending. Francophiles–this is your book. A young Parisian lawyer who lost her mother when she was just a small girl is now investigating her first big case in a rural village. In the process she learns surprising facts about her mother’s death. The writing is superb and the story is involved enough to keep every reader interested to the end.”
- 5-star Amazon review: “This author ranks with some of the best and combines rich descriptions with a great story.”
- 5-star Amazon review: ”This is a fun read. The characters are interesting. The setting – well, it’s Paris and the French countryside so how can you go wrong? Then there are the twists and turns. Surprising? You bet – but that’s enough. Read it and you’ll see – you do not have to read French to enjoy the book.”
- 4-star Amazon review: ”The Paris Lawer is a credible double mystery told in a way that brings both story threads together. It’s got a distinctive French setting, a strong protagonist, some well-developed and likeable other characters and a haunting link of past to present.”
- 4-star Amazon review: ”The story was compelling, and the writing excellent. The setting of Paris and the French countryside were nicely done, as well.”
- Download information sheet
- Download praise list
- Download author and translator bios
- Download author and translator Q/A
- Download news and story ideas
- Le French Book: First Release Jumps to Top 15 in One Day
- Le French Book Brings French Bestselling Crime Fiction to the Rest of the World
- Master of French crime fiction now in English
- New Publisher Brings Great French Fictions Stateside
- Marketing campaign date announced for: The Paris Lawyer coming in September
- The Paris Lawyer, by Sylvie Granotier: Le French Book prepares a prize-winning legal procedural for release in English
- Prize-winning tale by master French crime writer scheduled for release in English in September
SYLVIE GRANOTIER HEADSHOTS
- Sylvie Granotier headshot 1
- Sylvie Granotier headshot 2
- Sylvie Granotier headshot 3
- Sylvie Granotier in Creuse